Decarbonising Christchurch Airport
Christchurch Airport’s approach to decarbonisation
Since we first had our emissions independently audited in 2006, we have systematically stripped the carbon from our business.
In total, we have removed 90% of our Scope 1 emissions and are committed to removing the other 10% when technology or means exist to do so.
In the meantime, we’re investing in the permanent regeneration of native forest in Central Otago.
We won’t stop here. Our goal is to do things that enable others, including our airline partners, to decarbonise at the fastest possible rate.
That’s why we’ve dedicated 400 hectares of land right beside our runways to developing Kōwhai Park, which will serve as a resilient supply of renewable energy for future aircraft.